Sugar-Free and Loving It!

When my son was in the latter stages of Key Stage 1 he started to have violent outbursts. This was to increase as he got older. I cannot begin to explain how that felt as a parent. You question yourself, look hard at historical factors and answers are usually not readily forthcoming.

I once asked my social worker what her professional opinion was. With a deep sigh she explained that it was all to do with attachment (a stock excuse it seems). The advice was that “new research suggested I was better to stay with him in his bedroom”, taking anything he threw at me. Literally missiles were thrown from every direction. I do not recommend this, but at the time I was at a point where I would try anything.

So when he started to get worked up and the verbal abuse started, I would take him to his bedroom and sit there in a corner, taking on the social worker's advice. I was spat at, kicked, hit with books as they were thrown at me. I was verbally abused repeatedly. He would jump from his bed to his chest of draws, then try climbing on top of his wardrobe and out of the window, which I had locked - hindsight from a previous escapade. I finally walked out.

Whilst at a friend’s house for a get together, I had a conversation with her husband. He told me about how refined sugar and processed foods can have a dramatic affect on behaviour. So I decided to remove all refined sugar, white flour, white bread, pasta, pastry, white rice and white potatoes. I carried out some research, to see if these foods could be accountable for some of the violent behaviour my son was displaying.

The research bit:

A Journal of Pediatrics published by William Tamborlane, M.D et al of Vale University wrote how when glucose levels drop there can be a release of adrenaline. However, if these levels drop below the norm, it can result in hypoglycemia. This can alter behaviour and the way we think.

Further to this Tamborlane et al notes that children have a higher glucose level when adrenaline is released. This can occur about 4 hours after eating, depending on the child’s metabolic rate. Due to highly refined sugars and carbohydrates (found in so many foods) entering the bloodstream quicker, this can result in rapid fluctuations in glucose levels within the blood.

Consequently this can have adverse affects on a child’s mood and behaviour, peaks and troughs, or as I would describe it, the rollercoaster ride.  The brain requires a regulated supply of glucose, but with too much and from the wrong type, like from refined sugar and carbohydrate (white flour, white rice etc.) as well as processed foods, can cause aggressive behaviour, depression, poor sleep and anxiety.

Four weeks ago we made the choice to take out these refined foods and I cannot begin to tell you the difference it has made to my son’s behaviour. It has been hard work, but part of that has been with getting my own head around it. My husband and children were not too happy about the prospect. I didn’t tell my husband when I substituted his coffee sugar with agave nectar, but he didn’t realise until he went to make a coffee and we didn’t have any sugar. It had run out a week ago before and he had no idea. I made cakes and biscuits so my children know that they can still have sweet things, which I think is important. I have made American pancakes and crépes for breakfast and a chocolate sauce spread for my son’s porridge.

The more I cook the better I am getting at what we can have and it has been worth all the work. Yes my son still has moods, he is a child after all. What has changed is there has been no violence and I mean NONE. Yes he chunters away to himself in his bedroom, moaning that it is everyone else’s fault and never his own! Yet he has not broken any furniture or toys and neither has he destroyed clothes. At school the teachers and other teaching staff have been coming up to me and my husband singing his praises and conversation is not about him getting into fights! Miracles do happen!

I am not saying that this has changed the emotional support that he needs, but I can now talk to him and he sees reason quicker. The other day he was sent to his bedroom to calm down. He still chuntered as he went. When I entered he was ready to talk (this still does not always happen and I am inclined to wait for him to be ready). He was able to see how his behaviour was affecting him and that he didn’t need to do whatever it was that he had done in the first place.

Emotionally my son is quite immature and this is a process that will take time, but to have him fully engaged and with no violent outbursts is a great start. Below I have put a link to the books I have used and would like to say a big thank you to Davina McCall as I have found her books easy to follow and full of great advice.

Comments